Education and Advocacy at Holy Family.
Francis Mendenhall spoke on Sunday, February 4, 2018, after 10:00 am Mass at Holy Family Church. The title of her talk was: “The Carbon Fee and Dividend Action Plan”. A plan to mitigate global warming is crucial. Since a carbon tax with revenue going to encourage renewable energy is not politically feasible a revenue-neutral carbon fee with revenue being returned to the people as a dividend, instead of to the government, is the best response. Francis Mendenhall volunteers for the Citizens Climate Lobby . Read more at https://citizensclimatelobby.org/basics-carbon-fee-dividend.
Mary Lee Brock will led a presentation and discussion of conflict resolution at Holy Family Church on Sunday June 3, 2018, a 11 am after mass. Mary Lee holds a B.A. in Psychology from Creighton University and a M.Ed. in Counseling from South Dakota State University. She is Assistant Professor at Creighton University in the Negotiation and Conflict Resolution (NCR) program in the department of Interdisciplinary Studies. Mary Lee has recently taken on the role of Editor of the Nebraska Criminal Justice Review.
Holy Family’s Education and Advocacy Committee will sponsor Dr. Jeanne Schuler, and Dr. Kathy Grant, from OTOC’s Immigration and Refugee Action Team, for an event on Sunday, Sept. 23, 2018, about 11 am after 10 am mass. Their topic will be “Who is our neighbor? How does faith shape our response to immigrants at our border and in our community? How is God present in the cries of the poor?” Holy Family Church is at 1715 Izard St. facing 18th St, and is one block north of Cuming St.
OTOC has action groups on mental health care, environment and sustainability, medicaid reform and fair tax policy, housing and revitalization, immigration and refugees, and predatory lending.. Visit http://www.otoc.org for more information.
- Medicaid Expansion submitted over 135,000 signatures to the Secretary of State’s office in Lincoln, nearly 60% more than the minimum amount of signatures needed to qualify! Medicaid Expansion should now make it on the ballot. Over 50 OTOC volunteers collected at least 3,438 signatures.
- July 23. Immigration and Refugee Action Team meeting, 6 pm, Augustana. They have offered to have someone accompany a refugee or immigrant to tell their story to any group that wants to host. OTOC issued a press release on July 2 protesting the zero tolerance policy and suggesting alternatives.
- 1st Thursday of every month. Environment and Sustainability Action Team meets 7 pm, 1st U Methodist. Contact Mayor Stothert about ban the bag ordinance.
- House/ Church meeting campaign August 13 – September 16. Steering Committee and Listening Campaign Kickoff, August 13, 7 pm, Augustana. Member groups are reported their plans at this meeting.
- Holy Family will hold a Church meeting about OTOC after 10 am mass about 11 am on Sept. 30, 2018.
- Candidate Accountability Session 1: OPPD and US Congress, September 17, site St. Leo’s Church, 102nd & Blondo, at 7 pm.
- Candidate Accountability Session 2: NE Unicameral, October 22, 7 pm, site TBD.
- Individual Donation Campaign in Fall, 2018.
Additional information about OTOC may be found at their website www.OTOC.org.
Parish meetings are held twice a year at Holy Family, in January and May. The last parish meeting was Sunday, May 27, 2018. These meetings are open to the all members of the community. It is the way Holy Family informs all about parish affairs, and the way we make decisions. There is a pot-luck in the Social Hall to celebrate after the meeting. Please come, learn, share your ideas, and participate in the decision-making as you wish.